27 August 2009

Getting Ready for Work

Well so far I have gone from one information session to another.  Yesterday was all about health stuff and SIDS (which made for a long day).  One of these days we learn how to change a diaper according to Army standards (yes--they do have regulations on diapering in the Army--who knew?). 
 
This Friday I move to Bad Windsheim, Germany and have my new base (Illesheim).  I am super excited for this because most of the time our interns live on base the whole time.  I will get to live in Germany (and catch the train to and from work each morning like a grown up :)).  This Friday we are to Nuremberg for a Volksfest (and for our first chance at catching a German Brew since we've been here--here's a fun little fact they neglected to mention in my countless emails...we are not allowed to even have a sip of alcohol for our first week here...but less than 32 hours from now to go...but who is counting?).  I also had my first German grocery store experience this week.  If it is super expensive at home it is super cheap here (fancy cheeses run around a dollar or so).  If it is super cheap at home, expect it to break the bank over here (peanut butter...in the smallest pb jar you have ever seen in your life...will run you about $8).  So I will some how have to live off the finer things in life and scrape by (for lunch I have been enjoying Brie, raspberries, and fresh bread...$3.00 investment...I don't know how I can continue on like this ;) ).
 
The architecture on the bases is very different from our style at home.  I asked about it, and that is because we didn't actually build any of these bases, but rather took them over from the Nazi regime.  So the idea of living and working in the same buildings as the Nazi party occupied some 60 years ago does have an odd sort of feel about it (probably not something that I will ever really get over).
 
Well, I have to go learn the Army regulations for bottle feeding in a few minutes (and to check my laundry before that). 
More soon,
 
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment