21 May 2009

Fricking Good Day


Should you come to NYC and desire an intellectual retreat The Frick Collection is where you should be. I knew I liked it from the moment I saw the large, no apologies, sign outside that ran NO CHILDREN PERMITTED (10-16 must be accompanied by an adult). It is quite difficult to contemplate a piece with screaming spoilt children running around (they were all over the MET, even the ones with leashes were difficult for the au pairs to handle). Even those working at the museum had an aloofness about them and a hint of snobbery ran throughout the collection--it was heavenly.
The collection itself was utterly fabulous and the ambiance of the courtyard and fount and the architecture of the Frick home was really an intellectual treat. I was able to see one of my professor's favourite paintings as well as discover a few of my own that I thoroughly enjoy. After a good three or so hours of contemplation I then headed up town to a small Irish pub and ordered a Belgian Brunette (1/2 Stella 1/2 Guinness--if you haven't you should) and just soaked in my day. I met up with Heather at her bookstore underneath Liza's apartment (21 G--should you be in the neighbourhood).
We stopped by a local diner for a pastrami on rye sandwich and then made our way to Union Square for a mani/pedi and some window shopping before heading home.

No comments:

Post a Comment